Wednesday, September 6, 2006

Viewing Malayalam web pages in Ubuntu (or any Linux)

After a long time, I thought of checking out some local news in a newspaper website in my native language - that is Malayalam. I thought Ubuntu - Firefox would show the fonts without any additional effort. But I was wrong. A couple of minutes after googling, I got malayalam pages working for me. So here's what you need to do.

Make sure you have installed "ttf-malayalam-fonts" in your PC.
If not, for ubuntu, do the following

sudo apt-get install ttf-malayalam-fonts

Got Firefox's Tools->Extensions and click on "Get More Extensions" - in the extensions page, search and find "padma" extension.
Or use this link if it works for you :)

Install this extension and re-start firefox. You should be able to see Malayalam pages as shown below:

No comments: