Monday, July 13, 2009

Ubuntu 9.04 on OS X via virtual box

Virtualization and virtual machines are a great concept and it is here to stay. I tried installing virtual box (from Sun) on my OS X 10.5, and the experience had been smooth, smoother and the smoothest. I am running Ubuntu on top of my Mac OS, with full screen enabled. For tips to enable fullscreen, visit this link. Though it was written for vista, applies to other OSs as well.
The next step was to bridge the network adapter to use the wired connection en0 on mac.
For this,
  • Shut down your guest OS (ubuntu)
  • Click Network option in the details tab of Sun Virtualbox
  • It will show a small dialog with Adapter1 as selected tab as below
Change the settings to look like what I have in the above picture.

Also, after installing - "Vbox additions" I have noticed the automatic mouse capture and release whenever you move your mouse in and out of the Virtual guest OS window - too cool.
Oh yes, sound works right off the box.

Here is a screen capture of Ubuntu running on OS X

No comments: