Tuesday, December 19, 2006

Eye candy - second thoughts

After a visit to the apple store last Friday, I decided that I need XGL on my Ubuntu desktop. So I compiled and installed XGL and beryl on dapper. Everything works great, wobbly windows, "dream" effects, desktop cube etc.
On a second thought, I started asking myself "Do you need all these special effects on your computer?" - Well, with XGL/AIGLX Linux seems to stretching things a little too far. Too many "on your face" kind of effects (Which are unstable at times). Things like the "dream" effect on Menus and tool tips are distracting. Thank god, like anything else, beryl is highly configurable. I disabled a lot of settings and running only necessary effects I like:
Drop shadow - Gives a real feel of focus on top most window
Desktop cube - Rarely do I switch desktop, but while I do it, it is fun.
Expose' like effect - I have stopped using the old "alt+tab". Instead, I press F9 or move mouse to a hot-spot corner, and I get tile of all open windows, from which I can chose from.
Everything else, disabled! Here is a screenshot:

No comments: