Monday, February 5, 2007

Best GNOME audio player

At last! a very robust audio player for GNOME.
Banshee. Go check it out. I installed it from source and it was a cake walk. Interestingly, this is written in mono ( the Open source implementation of MS dot net c#). I am a Java fan, but when it comes to interfacing with the powerful gstreamer engine, Mono is a little ahead of Java. Java do not have a JNI implementation layer on top of gstreamer as of today. It is very easy to build Banshee from source. RTFM at Banshee website and you are good to go.

Cool Features:
  1. Cool user interface
  2. iTunes and other player support
  3. Album art
  4. Tag filling
  5. Podcast support
  6. Music sharing
  7. Music recommendations
  8. A lot of plug-ins like: meta data search, Mini mode, Tray based player etc.

Banshee Still lacks the following. But these are not very necessary.
  1. Graphic equalizer
  2. DSP effects
  3. Funky skins(who needs it anyway while GNOME themes satisfy all your aesthetic whims)
  4. Funky Visualizations
Here is a screenshot from my desktop. Note that I am playing a song in my native tongue while Banshee is suggesting similar Indian singers and songs to me in the bottom panel...this is awesome. I haven't seen iTunes doing this yet.

No comments: