Sunday, February 4, 2007

Phish proof

Dark forces that employ phishing occasionally use paypal email as their Trojan horse.
But there is a very easy way to identify between a "scam"-paypal email and the real paypal email. Original paypal email would have your first name and last name in the email body. Phishers would not have that information.
So, today, I saw yet another fake paypal email sitting in my inbox saying:

We have reason to believe that your account was accessed by a third party. Because protecting the security of your account is our primary concern, we have limited access to sensitive PayPal account features. We understand that this may be an inconvenience but please understand that this temporary limitation is for your protection.
To remove the limitation click on the following link:

Followed by a link. Just out of curiosity I clicked on that Link and my "Thunderbird" advised me not to follow the link. Here is a screen shot

And I did not have any intentions whatsoever to got to bubblewebdesign.ch and give away my paypal credentials.
So, my advice - Be smart.
Use smart tools like Firefox, gmail and thunderbird, that would alert you about such scams.

No comments: